View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 AM   #18
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
No beef here with Saotome Sensei, but just another perspective.

Keiko: to reflect upon the past. Some would translate it as "training" or "practise". I think meaning is lost in those two translations. To reflect upon the past is to study traditions, things (beliefs, practises, customs) handed down because a group of people found them to have value. To reflect upon these traditions gives us the opportunity to use their meanings, their value in the present. Hopefully enriching us today and tomorrow.

Everyone practises for different reasons...but I like the cultural connections in keiko...and find value in it. Sometimes that means putting the effort into learning snippets of another language. I may not learn it as well as a linguist, but I can make my best effort. And that effort is not out of laziness...it is an effort to learn as much as I can about my keiko. I still have to do my best to understand the meaning behind those foriegn words. I read, research, struggle on the mat with the concepts and meanings. Doesn't sound lazy at all to me. In fact, sounds like the same thing others do who teach in english.

I simply choose to express the concepts as close as they were expressed to me as I can.

And **that** is a struggle, and is not at all about laziness. Or "parroting".

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)