View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #7
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Scott,

I really like a lot of what you said. I'm just going to nitpick on a few things, though.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on what the Founder really taught. In my studies, I have come to believe that a lot of what we see as Aikido, really comes from the Founder's son, Kisshomaru Ueshiba. I think that there has been some misdirection going on that needs to be cleared up so we can see that Kisshomaru Sensei himself was a genius with a major, major role in the creation of Aikido. I read that Koichi Tohei believes that doing "intoku"(good deeds done in secret) to be very important for human beings. I believe that Aikido is Kisshomaru Sensei's intoku.

After WWII, a lot of the more "martial" techniques were taken out. The Founder seemed to teach less and less. His own teaching consisted of a large number of techniques against a large number of attacks. This is hinted at in the book, "Budo."

The Founder also seemed to feel that Budo was a step on the way to Bushin, a much more spiritual concept. This is what differentiates Aikido from other Budo. We are supposed to start with Bujutsu and then work up to the other two.

It is clear to me that the Founder's vision was to pass his deep art to a very small number of people. Kisshomaru Sensei's vision was to pass a very wide art to a large number of people. These two visions blended together forming a kind of yin/yang to form Aikido.

This doesn't really change anything you wrote. I just feel that it is important to be clear on how things are.

Charles