View Single Post
Old 01-09-2001, 01:48 AM   #5
T'zur
Dojo: Senshinkan
Aiki-Christianity

I too would like to know why you find aikido and Christianity at conflict with one another. Perhaps my story will help some: I am a Christian, and have been for 11 years now. I began practicing aikido 3 years ago. At first I ran into a few problems, didn't like the idea of bowing to O'Sensei at the begining of class at first. (hold no... idols... do not bow.... Leviticus 26:1) My instructor(also a christian, actually) said that if we didn't want to, we didn't have to. For a while I didn't, I was more comfortable NOT doing this. Then I began to ask around at seminars and such where there were LOTS of higher belts, wanted to know what THEY thought out Shomen-rae. They did not view O'sensei as a god, so why should I? Here a lot of aikido and Christianity can come together in my view: I believe on faith that the God of the Bible is God. NOT that O'sensei is. He is not an issue. Rather, my heart before God is important. Just as a nage's size and stregnth are not as important as what's inside them! The 'blending' aspect of aikido also seems congruent with Christianity. When we are commanded to 'love one another' what are we being asked to do, but blend with each other? Surely God knows we are going to have arguments, He wants us to resolve them. Someone comes after you with bad energy, be that a knife (tanto) or a cutting remark, as an aikidoka, your response is to perform Tai Sabaki. Let the energy go by and maintain control of both you and them. As a Christian your responsibility would be to 'regard each one as better than yourself' (Phillipians 2:3) and treat than person in a respectful manner BECAUSE they are created in the image of God. I find the two worldviews complimentary and I see my Christian walk AND my aikido as improved because of the other.

--Solomonwannabe

- Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God, surely I will stregnthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.- Isa. 41:10