View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 07:13 AM   #25
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Freaky!

Quote:
Ted Murphy (ted murphy) wrote:
For what it is worth, I believe both the story about him dodging the bullets fired by those students and him backing down from having the rifleman shoot at him.

I suspect his victory had more to do with his ability to read and size people up than his abilities, though they certainly helped.

Having worked in law enforcement firearms training, we have seen quite a few instances of shooters unable to point a gun at a human being. For some, it is the deep ingrained safety training that gets in the way, for others, well we don't know why they do it. In a recent simunitions (kind of like paintball but in real guns) exercise I myself was shot at from a distance of less than 4 feet and the fella missed- and I was standing still! He then froze after the first shot, and never shot again. The bullet did not come even close, it impacted about 3 feet from my head to my right.. When interviewed, he had no answer why he 1) didn't hit me and 2) froze. And the shooter was someone with over 100 hours of extensive firearms and training.

thus, those students on the firing line very likely had some difficulties actually drawing a bead on a human being, particularly one doing them no harm at the other time. The version I had heard was they were academy students, who probably won't real good at 25m anyway. I would think the law of averages would have been against OSensei though.

Look at the rifleman he backed away from. That man was a pro- and someone who seriously wanted to shoot O Sensei. I think O Sensei realized he was against someone who was up to the task of killing him and backed down. Quite wise.

Ted
Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
There seems to be a kind of confusion here. There is nothing about O'Sensei "dodging" bullets. Gozo Shioda made it very clear that something very strange went on. The whole thing was reportedly done twice, and both times Shioda Sensei tried to keep his eyes on his teacher. Both times he somehow disappeared. My feeling is that to vote "yes" on this poll is to believe that somehow Morihei Ueshiba was capable of doing things that can't be explained using what is commonly thought to be known about reality.

Charles
Ted, I agree with you 100%, if you read On Killing by Dave Grossman he has some interesting statistics about peoples ability to kill during combat situation.

It's amazing how well Ueshiba was able to read people, and this no doubt translated into his Aikido ability.

I think most of us agree that Aikido requires a proper understanding on kinesthetic, Newtonian mechanics and the general combat principles, but I also think a large part of Aikido requires an understanding of the force of presence, and hypnotic induction. I think that is what Charles is describing. There are certain people who are able to light up a room when they enter (Just look at a good thespian on stage), isn't it reasonable that some people can obscure their presence (aura) to the point when it becomes difficult to focus on them. Just my inane ramblings, make of it what you will.

Peace and Blessings.