View Single Post
Old 06-08-2003, 09:56 PM   #24
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Kokyu

Quote:
Phillip Johnson (PhilJ) wrote:
Very interesting ideas. I'm truly wrapped up in this one.

Mr. Ledyard, you talk about moving and striking/dealing with uke in a way that neutralizes the combination or next strike. But like what was said, many folks are trained to take a great deal of physical punishment. In fact, even in a normal confrontation, many people tend to "go numb".

Are you talking about simple atemi, kyusho-jitsu (sp?), both, none? Do you or Mr. Linden have issues with taking the legs on irimi?

*Phil
When I saw Ushiro Sensei demonstrating this I realized that I was seeing what I had been trying to do but simply much better. Ushiro Sensei was talkining about the use of kokyu and his entry placed him in a postion from which there wasn't a second strike possible. Of course he was usuing ukes not fighting but it was clear that at that moment he was capable of finishing with a strike or with a throw, his choice.

I have seen Saotome Sensei do this for years but hadn't understaood what he was doing (hismovement is so subtle that I often find myself understanding what he had been doing when I get a chance to see and hear other teacher's explanations of the same principles).

Although there is no reason why attacking pressure points can't be part of this it isn't central to what I am talking about. The strikes I am talking about are pretty much to the eyes or the throat. There are others but these are the basics. The issue is how do you get in? The hits aren't the central issue.

Saotome sensei's simultaneous defense / offense techniques are done in such a way that the attacker is sure right up until the moment that he is struck that he was going to hit you. These are deflection and strike techniques. The nage doesn't move off the line to evade the attack. He deflects the attack while moving into the center for the atemi; it is after he enters to the center that the fade off the line takes place to the extent that there is one. At the instant of the atemi you have, not only the physical strike which can cause physical dysfunction, but the atemi can be part of getting kuzushi where you have the attacker's center and can continue striking or throw at your choosing.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com