View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 11:55 PM   #26
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Rachel, of course I agree that what I saw was not alarming, or even that much harder than what I'm used to. Also, if you go through my posts on the thread you'll see that I really did enjoy that seminar very much. It was a great deal of fun, and it was really interesting and eye-opening to see that range of technique from that perspective. I never once felt that I was in any more danger than I normally am, and I thought everyone was excellent to work with! Please don't misconceive my questioning violence as a bad thing, it's healthy to do that once in a while to know where you stand. That's what I wanted out of this thread, just to explore that side of Aikido, that this seminar made me think about it is a good thing. As far as what in the seminar made me think... What I'm referring to in particular are things like the finishing blows, some of the ways that you can control uke, and some of the types of movements. To be quite specific, I haven't worked with anything that involved any finshing technique from shihonage, and I'm quite used to finishing shihonage as a throw, as well, not straight to the mat with a pin. Also, when doing a shihonage's initial hand grabbing, we usually keep the grab on the wrist, when you grab around the thumb you get extra control but it also makes it very easy to twist that wrist a bit too far, especially if the uke resists. Other things were that kaiten (spelling?) hip movement, while generating a lot of extra power makes it more difficult to not throw the hell out of uke. It just seems like there is a great deal more power, and more control in the technique that I was learning, but at a small cost of comfort and possibly with an added amount of pain (again, not that I thought it felt any more painful, just more possibility.) You know, I didn't even think about some of these things that much untill I was showing a couple things in our class back at my home Dojo, and an uke who is also in EMT training (and everything he does is seen through that medical lens) pointed out some of the options for potential damage in those spots... I can't stress enough that I don't think this is a bad thing, it's another way to do things and it's great that there is so much range and diversity within these techniques. If I had to say which classes that was more obvious with, I'd say that it was McGinnss Sensei's classes, I don't know that I had those impressions with Yamada Sensei; but please forgive me if the whole weekend blurred a bit around the edges, I couldn't say which class was which technique or whatever. I was really very impressed with both sensei, and the whole experience alltogether. My questioning is a part of my nature, not meant to be a criticism. Forgive me if I am sounding too apologetic, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that the seminar was out of control or that I felt endangered, not so at all. These thoughts I'm having are a way for me to explore some things that I really should have been thinking about a long time ago.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait