View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 06:06 PM   #23
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Drew, Ron, I think I see what you're trying to say. That makes a lot of sense to me, really. I guess that I'm really just concerned that under stress I wouldn't be able to control the level of violence I use, but would default to what I am trained to do. I guess I am thinking of this along the lines of having less confidence in my ability to control myself in that sort of situation. If I am trained properly, I would keep a "normal" state of mind, not panicing, and either increase or decrease my level of violence. I don't know that that would happen, however, especially so early in my training. I have talked to people who took a martial art and used it, and one of them said that a friend of his threw a punch at him as a joke and he broke the guys nose. I don't think that's something that I want to do. A knee-jerk reaction would be a bit easier to live with if it just put me in control, and didn't break someone's nose... That's the way I'm thinking about this, maybe I'm being too narrowminded. Hmm. Let's say that I'm able to get someone in an effective pin, could I not then choose to do something nasty to him once I calm down a bit? I don't know... this is turning into a very good conversation.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait