View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #18
jxa127
Dojo: Itten Dojo -- Mechanicsburg, PA
Quote:
Jeff Tibbetts wrote:
What I'm getting at here is that, some people train with an emphasis on controlling uke from doing this or that, every step of the way is control or a pin or throw, but at the expense of uke's comfort. There's simply more potential for injury to occurr, or I should say less time spent worrying about the other guy Again, I don't mean that they'll hurt their training partner, but certainly the real application of this technique shows prettymuch no concern for the person receiving the technique. That's what I don't personally want to adopt. I have my own reasons for it, but really I think it's important to protect the attacker from himself after you see to it that you are protected.
Jeff,

My question in response to your question is how vulnerable do you want to be as nage? If nage is not controlling uke every step of the way, then nage is vulnerable to uke's continued attack. This is true whether you end with a pin or a throw.

My approach is to learn the full range of aikido responses from killing or maiming blows to the softest fall possible. That way I can choose how vicious I want to make my response.

I wouldn't worry that training with damaging technique will keep you from being able to "ramp down" your response to an appropriate level. My one time using aikido, I threw somebody I care about. I actually cushioned his fall, and my pin caused no pain. I did not have any trouble quickly applying the appropriate level of violence.

As for somebody entering the house, I'd prefer to be in the position of having greater power available than the housebreaker. That means that I know the terrirory, have a good defenseive position, a gun, the cops on the phone, and the intention to shoot if he doesn't do exactly what I say.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames