View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 10:32 AM   #17
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I got the whole range of responses that I was "expecting." Let me say right off the bat again, I don't have a problem with hard training, and I really enjoyed doing it for a while. I learned a lot from it, but I also don't want that to be the dafault for my own personal reasons. Also, let me reiterate that this isn't a question of what is violent, but really HOW violent would you like things? I never implied that anyone that I trained with would ever cause a training partner injury on the mat, they were all exceptional about keeping it at the level that they felt their partner was comfortable with. What I'm getting at here is that, some people train with an emphasis on controlling uke from doing this or that, every step of the way is control or a pin or throw, but at the expense of uke's comfort. There's simply more potential for injury to occurr, or I should say less time spent worrying about the other guy Again, I don't mean that they'll hurt their training partner, but certainly the real application of this technique shows prettymuch no concern for the person receiving the technique. That's what I don't personally want to adopt. I have my own reasons for it, but really I think it's important to protect the attacker from himself after you see to it that you are protected. I can get into it more later, but I have to get to work. So, let's shift the conversation just a bit to the esoteric side, and see where how far you want to take things, if say, a person were breaking into your house.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait