View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
My teacher, mentor and friend died a little over 3 years ago from cancer. Ted Stratton Sensei started his training in Malaysia under Thamby Rajah Sensei (who introduced Aikido to Maaysia in the '50s) and trained for over 40 years.

He also trained under Gozo Shioda Sensei (Thamby Rajah Sensei's teacher) and was the first person to bring Yoshinkan Aikido to the UK about 40 years or so ago.

He gave me so much, not just Aikido, but in good times, confidence and wonderful memories. I keep a great picture of him at home, not in Gi and Hakama, but shorts, t-shirt, and a baseball cap with a huge laugh filling his face.

It is so important to learn from these Masters, and I wish my wife (1st Kyu) could have known him personally too and trained under him. I have trained under Sensei's teacher, Thamby Rajah Sensei, a number of times too, and my wife has also had the pleasure of training under him.

Sensei Stratton's Aikido was so effortless and powerful. I too sometimes feel like he is with me on the mat. I will be teaching and do something, or go down some path, and I can't work out where it came from. Maybe he was telling me what to do.

Last edited by siwilson : 06-04-2003 at 07:38 AM.

Osu!