View Single Post
Old 12-28-2000, 11:22 AM   #21
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America
Talking Re: Aikido, Dai Qi, etc...

[quote]BC wrote:
Quote:
[i]
I never meant to infer that taijiquan and aikido were the same, and I'm sorry if you thought that. I only meant to point out that training slowly or at less than full speed in practicing techniques in any martial art helps to develop precision, and used a reference to tai chi as an example of that practice taken to a certain extreme.

By the way, taijiquan and aikido DO have a lot in common. They are both martial arts and the human body mechanics are the same, no matter what martial art you practice. And taijiquan practiced at full speed is not "combat tai chi," it is simply taijiquan. Just as aikido practiced at full speed is not "combat aikido." Regards.
BC -
Before we bounce back an forth explaining and apologizing, to quote deceased president Richard M. Nixon, "Let me say this about that..."

Over the past several years I have noticed several instructors in the St Louis area who have become enamored of Dai Qi. While I do not fault them for their interest, I do find that they have begun to attempt to forcibly connect Dai Qi and Aikido.

Here there are persons who teach Dai Qi as both an "exercise form" and "combat form", hence my source for "combat dai qi" comes from them. Whether or not this is promotional hyperbole on their part is beyond my interest.

While all physical activities do share the common ground of the human body and therefore, mechanics being mechanics, will eventually have points of comparison, there are strong disimilarities between Dai Qi, Aikido, Kung Fu, Shotokan, ballet, etc.

Each discipline has its' own rationale and mode of training distinct from the others. Hence my statement that they are not the same.

I suppose I am overly sensitive to this because of my experience here. There is a point where the comparisons between different arts and different styles within the same art can create greater misunderstanding and confusion.

From my perspective Aikido is unique in both its' training, techniques and underlying philosophy. Morihei Ueshiba was distinct and different from all who preceded him. His historical roots can be traced, but his intrinsic revelations which led him to transform himself and his training remain uniquely his.

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack