View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 05:39 PM   #11
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Creating Space

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Mr. Ledyard,

Thanks for your reply. It was very clear and makes a lot of sense to me.

I'd like to ask a follow-up question which also relates to another post you made regarding "creating space" in a multiple person attack. I've seen a number of people use techniques such as sankyo or, in the Steven Seagal style, grabbing one uke's fingers to maneuver him/her between nage and the other ukes to "create space," as you put it. What do you think of this?

I suppose the best thing to do would be to attend one of your seminars, however your posts on the subject are very helpful.

Charles
Actually, the use of a locking technique like Sankyo to create a barrier between nage and the ukes is a good example of creating time by slowing the other attackers down. It is one of the times it is ok to use a technique which takes more than one "beat".

As for "creating space", throwing a guy one way and them moving rapidly in the other direction is an example of creating space (which also creates time) more than the use of the sankyo to slow another attacker. But it's a fine point because anything you do to interfere with the movement of an on-coming attacker does create time and could be considered creating space as well.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com