Thread: Do it fast?????
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2000, 10:08 AM   #17
BC
Re: Speed in Training

Quote:
Richard Harnack wrote:
Training movement slowly is appropriate when first learning the technique. At some point you have practiced the movement enough at one speed, and need to pick up the pace of training. Despite many people believing it, Aikido is not Tai Chi, neither does Aikido have much in common with Tai Chi. Tai Chi when performed at full speed is usually described as "combat Tai Chi", better known as the underlying art of Kung Fu.

Aikido is as graceful as ballet, but this does not mean that Aikido is ballet.

It is important in teaching that when we draw comparison between Aikido and other activities, that we remind our students and ourselves that we are doing so to call attention to a particular element of Aikido, and, that we are not saying Aikido is the same as the other art.

Proper training includes patience in learning and practicing a move, it also involves developing speed and facility with the movement, and, ultimately "understanding" the move.
I never meant to infer that taijiquan and aikido were the same, and I'm sorry if you thought that. I only meant to point out that training slowly or at less than full speed in practicing techniques in any martial art helps to develop precision, and used a reference to tai chi as an example of that practice taken to a certain extreme.

By the way, taijiquan and aikido DO have a lot in common. They are both martial arts and the human body mechanics are the same, no matter what martial art you practice. And taijiquan practiced at full speed is not "combat tai chi," it is simply taijiquan. Just as aikido practiced at full speed is not "combat aikido." Regards.

Robert Cronin