View Single Post
Old 12-14-2000, 03:23 PM   #7
BC
[quote]Erik wrote:
[b] The most amazing thing about it, is that I knew most of the people watching the fight. No one, and I repeat no one, moved to stop it and they could easily have done so. So much for enemies when you might have friends.

Gotta be careful on assigning blame on this one, I think. You're the one who got into the fight, correct? Besides, I tried to break up a fight once, and lost my front tooth (they don't grow back), and another friend attempting the same received ten stitches in his forehead. This was a number of years ago, and a short time before I became involved in the martial arts. Even now, I would hesitate to break up a fight unless someone I really cared about was at risk of getting badly injured. Alot of variables to consider and alot of risks as well.

I'd like to bring up another issue relating to this thread's topic, fighting other martial artists. That is, no matter how good you are in your martial art, or how good a fighter you are, there is always going to be someone who is bigger, stronger, meaner, tougher, badder, better, nastier and faster than you. If you keep playing the odds, you will eventually learn this lesson the very hard way. Also, all of this seems to ignore the fact that aikido isn't about fighting. Self defense, yes; but fighting, no.

[Edited by BC on December 14, 2000 at 02:33pm]

Robert Cronin