View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 08:20 AM   #21
Kevin Wilbanks
Skimming through the thread, this sentence alarmed me:

"I generally keep my diet balanced, though I avoid fats and oils like the plague ( as I've had a history of gall attacks)."

While I would be reluctant to pin all your problems on this, this misconception is certainly not doing your health any favors. The low-fat diet craze was based upon overgeneralization of certain studies showing lowered cholesterol in people with severe cariovascular disease risks. Fats are an essential part of a healthy diet. They are responsible for a multitude of important processes, including the construction of cell membranes. It is true that certain fats shouldn't be consumed in excess, and some probably not at all, but a good place to start is with fat making up about 30% of your total calories, and a good balance of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats. Partially hydrogenated fats, oil used for repeated deep frying and other stale, damaged oils should be nearly completely avoided - all others are healthy, essential foodstuffs. Another issue, which can cause health problems, is one's ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 3 deficiency and/or exceptionally low 3:6 ratios have been associated with, among other things, increased overall inflammation responses and prolonged recovery time. Most americans are probably Omega 3 deficient, because they eat too much vegetable oil and not enough fish.

Do yourself a favor and get educated about good fats/bad fats, and start giving your body the raw materials it needs to make the changes you want.

A good resource is FATS THAT HEAL, FATS THAT KILL, by Udo Erasmus. Similar info can also be found in Dr. Andrew Weil's books, although he tends to stray into questionable territory at times. Nonetheless, his EATING WELL FOR OPTIMAL HEALTH is worth a read too.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 04-30-2003 at 08:23 AM.