Thread: aikido attacks
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 05:57 PM   #38
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
Defensive and Offensive Aikido (Aikido vs. Boxing)

I've read a lot of posts where there seems to be much concern about the efficacy of Aikido against boxing or street fighting. I have noticed much concern, as well, about the attacks used in Aikido training. But there may be another way to think about things, not so much as to whether "this" or "that" will work, but instead about the way the situation is approached.

In Aikido training, the attacks are based upon traditional training. This is necessary for anyone, of any rank, to gain a grasp upon the dynamics of the techniques, the nuances that will someday bring out the "magic" of what we are doing. However, it is unlikely that we will see shomenuchi or yokomen with such grave committment from an attacker on the street, just as it is unlikely that an attacker will throw a punch out and hold it there while a Kung-Fu practitioner throws sixty-three strikes at the assailant--I speak from experience. A fighter on the street, especially a boxer, or a good martial artist strikes with a relative center. In the dojo, we give up our centers for the attack, giving Nage something to work with. A good puncher keeps his body moving as a unit and extends punches without committing his center, but still using its power.

Over the past twenty years, I have tried to integrate street attacks--american fighting--into Aikido training. Aikido is a martial art, and its purpose is to resolve conflict. I see nothing wrong with keeping it practical by evolving with the culture to which it will be applied. Besides, the principle of Aikido is a state of mind; giving the attacker an option, not taking control by being stronger. If we can't apply this concept to "American" style attacks, what's the point in learning Aikido as a martial art? How can we possibly apply Ainuke? If one wants to experience harmony, but not necessarily to be able to resolve an attack from a trained fighter, then one might as well study ballroom dancing. (And I did at one time.)

Anyway, there are several options when facing a boxer. One is to run. Considering Marubashi, this is not such a good idea, especially for your spirit. Unless you're facing a life threatening situation which you have no chance to control, then running is suicide.

Attacking the boxer head-on with boxing is, again, suicide, unless you are a bigger, stronger, or quicker fighter.

Trying to apply Aikido to a boxer's attack is not a good idea, either. When a strike is thrown without the full commitment of the center, and if you can grab hold of it at all, latching on to it for an attempt at Kotegaeshi is not an intelligent application. You will most likely end up yanked off your feet, or bapped in the nose.

But this is defensive Aikido, the kind we train for in the dojo when an attack is committed. Against a boxer, I have used offensive Aikido with success. It is still Aikido, still Ainuke, still non-violent, but it moves differently. It is moving with the strike, not quite evading, but fading--musubi--and then entering with the boxer's retraction, and then executing a full-body control, control of the fighter's center with his help, but not trying to take it from him when he's not giving it.

The techniques work well, adaptations of the originals for American fighting. Aikido should be practical for any culture.

But the blending is essential. Punching and kicking is a very base ability. Blending with someone's spirit and controlling the situation non-violently is something much more difficult to obtain, but well worth the training and time. We tend to desire instant gratification and quick answers. Aikido works very well against a boxer, but only if you can blend with his intent, not with his strike. Intent can be a blink, a change in breathing, something subtle--a tell--that says it's going to happen, the strike is coming, the trigger is going to be pulled, and the essence of Aikido is being sensitive to that intent--in fact, to redirect the intent without the need for physical interference. Don't grab the attacker's strikes, don't use muscle, blend and take in his center, the intent is the spiritual signal to move.

If you are worried about wether or not Aikido will work against a fighter, then your questioning may elicit enough fear to make you leave Aikido for something more tangible, with more directly visible results. But have faith in yourself, your spirit, all those who have trusted Aikido for decades, and it will not let you down. It will take time. Ask fellow students to practice with "American" strikes, and work on blending, forget the punches, blend with the motion of the quick jab, become fluid, and then you will be like a glob of honey on the bear's paw when he snatches it from the bee-hive.

Aikido works. Do us all a favor--make it work! I want to learn what you figure out.