View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #79
Dojo: Itten Dojo -- Mechanicsburg, PA
Daniel Linden (DGLinden) wrote:

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do feel that when one trains to break arms, dislocate shoulders and fracture necks and backs - learn hundreds of ways to accomplish this - and actually practice doing it with live human beings, well, if it quacks like a duck...
Daniel, I missed this response until today. Thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure how I feel about the statement above. I've always been taught that while we can break arms, and dislocate joints, it's a better idea not to as that leads to broken or dislocated connections.

Are we just jerking around with semantics?
Most likely.
Violence appears to me to be doing anything that harms another person, I just don't care about your intent - it doesn't matter. If one was truly of a perfect aiki mind one would emulate those perfect Indian masters who would rather die than hurt another being.
Maybe it's a bit of both intention and harm. I believe there can be harm without violence (due to lack of intent), and violence without harm (because of intent). I disagree that a "perfect aiki mind" would be totally pacifist. I understand aiki to mean joining with energy (or intention). I don't think aiki implies non-action -- just the opposite in fact.
I think I should stipulate here that I have no problem at all with violence. I hunt and fish and practice a martial art - I would be a hypocrite to deny it.
And I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say that I recognize how aikido can be violent. I just believe that our highest aim is non-violence and peaceful resolution of a conflict with no harm to either party. I also believe that this can include physical technique.

-Drew Ames