View Single Post
Old 04-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #17
Nitar
I decided to go to Kyushinkan Dojo. It is located near my workplace, and they had a 6 week beginner class starting. I live near Atlanta, and I do a ton of driving. So, I was a bit concerned about location. The class started yesterday and I attended my first class there.

I have to say that I really enjoyed it! I was looking forward to the next class right when the first one was finished...

To answer the question about motives, my motives are among other things, self defense. I also wanted a type of excercise that I really enjoy. Not to mention the fact that I have been interested in Aikido for well over a year. I've just now gotten serious about deciding to start learning.

I think I'll probably have other questions now. More related to techniques, and how to remember, practice, etc... Obviously those are topics that have probably been discussed at length in other forums.

As far as the spiritual side of things, I have decided to take what I learn with a grain of salt. I'm not saying that in a bad way, just that I will measure what I learn in Aikido on the spiritual side against what I believe from my faith. I think there is a lot to be learned, as far as calmness and relaxation. I have a problem sometimes dealing with anger, and from what I have read Aikido is a good source for learning to deal with that. Not that I freak out all the time or anything, it's just that in some areas I have a short fuse. Traffic is definitely one of those areas... However, I digress.

Thanks again for all the insightful replies!

-Shane