Thread: tai sabaki
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,995
I'd probably refer to "footwork" as "ashi sabaki" and probably say that "tai sabaki" more means "body movement." Both, to me, are general terms referring to a group of movements like "tenkan," "irimi," "tenshin," "tenkai," and so on.

More specifically, I have heard the "tenkan" footwork being described as pivoting on one foot while the other foot sweeps behind -- ie if two are done successively, it's kind of like drawing a circle/ellipse on the mat with one leg while the other stays in the center.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote