View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #16
TomE

30. Whoever relies on the Tao in governing men / doesn't try to force issues / or defeat enemies by force of arms. / For every force there is a counterforce. / Violence, even well intentioned, / always rebounds upon oneself. / The Master does his job / and then stops. / He understands that the universe / is forever out of control, / and that trying to dominate events / goes against the current of the Tao. / Because he believes in himself, / he doesn't try to convince others. / Because he is content with himself, / he doesn't need other's approval. / Because he accepts himself, / the whole world accepts him.

31. Weapons are the tools of violence; / all decent men detest them. / Weapons are the tools of fear; / a decent man will avoid them / except in the direst necessity / and, if compelled, will use them / only with the utmost restraint. / Peace is his highest value. / If the peace has been shattered, / how can he be content? / His enemies are not demons, / but human beings like himself. / He doesn't wish them personal harm. / Nor does he rejoice in victory. / How could he rejoice in victory, / and delight in the slaughter of men? / He enters a battle gravely, / with sorrow and with great compassion, / as if he were attending a funeral.

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching (translation: Stephen Mitchell)

Now in reality, I'm only human too. But I try, I really try