View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
My first Seminar -advice-

Hello everyone. There is a seminar coming up in Iowa City (about an hour from where I am) with Yamada Shihan that I would love to attend. I have a few questions for anyone who's been to a seminar, or one of his in particular.

I am a member of the ASU, and I was wondering if the way that we do things is significantly different from his branch. The instructor from the I.C. Dojo has been down to our Dojo to host a couple of classes, and he is a great teacher. He tends to do things a bit more "hard" style than us, but nothing that's bad or really all that different; I quite like the variety and different perspective that he shows us.

I also have a couple of questions about seminars in general. First off, I was wondering if a Shihan generally picks just anyone to take Ukemi for him, because I don't think I could handle it quite yet. I don't have a problem in class, but I've only worked on breakfalls once so far and then only straight front falls. I know from videos that nearly every technique a Shihan does ends in a breakfall, so I don't want to be in a position that I would have to politely refuse to take Ukemi for fear of making him look bad (if I break my arm or something.) I don't know that this is a big concern for me, just something that occurred to me. Another thing, should I get a hotel even though I'm only an hour away or should I try to drive home? I ask because I've heard a lot about how tiring these seminars can be, and because I was hoping that there would be some sort of beer-waza afterwards, so I don't know that I want to drive home... is this even a common thing, or was exhaustion a big issue for you?

Okay, thanks for reading, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait