View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 09:18 AM   #14
paw
Bob,
Quote:
You're a evil, evil man
Et tu?

Ian,

Agree with you about aerobics. I do the long, slow, distance thing during much of winter.

I also agree with you about the strength benefits of flexibility.

Liane,
Quote:
by big weights, i mean powerlifter routines - bench press of +120kg, deadlifts of 200kg, that sort of thing. perhaps it was a little unclear.
I wouldn't say those are "big weights". I'm 75kg and have deadlifted 243kg and benched 120kg, which frankly, isn't very good from a powerlifting perspective.
Quote:
i know several weightlifting coaches who say that they regret losing their flexibility - the muscles can become so big that it inhibits movement.
Hmm... When you say weightlifting, to me that refers to Olympic lifting (clean&jerk, snatch). As such, those lifts are only valid if they satisfy a particular range of motion. If the athlete is unable to complete the lift due to a lack of flexibility, they aren't being coached properly. The same thing would be true in powerlifting (squat, bench, deadlift).

I don't deny that someone can gain so much mass that they have trouble with various movements, but I would wonder if:

1. An athelete in one sport is being judged by standards they have not trained in (how many runners would do well in gymnastics, for example)

2. The coach/athlete lost sight of the goal (improved performance) and have focused on appearance.

From a training perspective, it seems to me that one should compare the flexibility of different strength training methods and compare that with a control group in the general population that engages in no exercise. I suspect the trained group will not fare worse.

As a final aside, if you do know several weightlifting coaches (Olympic weightlifting) I'd encourage you to train with them. Olympic lifters are fantastic strength athletes.
Quote:
you get added strength from flexibility training if the stretches require you to support body weight.
I agree. I'm just making the point that resistance is resistance if the range of motion is the same, is it not? (Yeah, that's a bit of a simplification but I really don't want to talk about leverage differences inherent between say dumbbells, kettlebells and clubbells)
Quote:
cardio work done outside if its wet and cold can be bad, ... if that doesn't satisfy you, best ask a doctor of chinese medicine, they might be able to explain it properly.
Here's the rub: to a certain degree the Soviets encouraged athletes to train outside in the cold and wet as they strongly beleived there were positive health benefits. Who should I beleive? (That's a retorical quesiton)

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm busting your chops. There's so much myth and nonsense when it comes to fitness, despite a good body of scientific evidence. Not to mention that some folks are more interested in pushing "their program" (and making $$$$$) than really improving their client's health, well-being, and physical performance.

Regards,

Paul