View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 08:18 AM   #14
You're a evil, evil man
Et tu?

Agree with you about aerobics. I do the long, slow, distance thing during much of winter.

I also agree with you about the strength benefits of flexibility.

by big weights, i mean powerlifter routines - bench press of +120kg, deadlifts of 200kg, that sort of thing. perhaps it was a little unclear.
I wouldn't say those are "big weights". I'm 75kg and have deadlifted 243kg and benched 120kg, which frankly, isn't very good from a powerlifting perspective.
i know several weightlifting coaches who say that they regret losing their flexibility - the muscles can become so big that it inhibits movement.
Hmm... When you say weightlifting, to me that refers to Olympic lifting (clean&jerk, snatch). As such, those lifts are only valid if they satisfy a particular range of motion. If the athlete is unable to complete the lift due to a lack of flexibility, they aren't being coached properly. The same thing would be true in powerlifting (squat, bench, deadlift).

I don't deny that someone can gain so much mass that they have trouble with various movements, but I would wonder if:

1. An athelete in one sport is being judged by standards they have not trained in (how many runners would do well in gymnastics, for example)

2. The coach/athlete lost sight of the goal (improved performance) and have focused on appearance.

From a training perspective, it seems to me that one should compare the flexibility of different strength training methods and compare that with a control group in the general population that engages in no exercise. I suspect the trained group will not fare worse.

As a final aside, if you do know several weightlifting coaches (Olympic weightlifting) I'd encourage you to train with them. Olympic lifters are fantastic strength athletes.
you get added strength from flexibility training if the stretches require you to support body weight.
I agree. I'm just making the point that resistance is resistance if the range of motion is the same, is it not? (Yeah, that's a bit of a simplification but I really don't want to talk about leverage differences inherent between say dumbbells, kettlebells and clubbells)
cardio work done outside if its wet and cold can be bad, ... if that doesn't satisfy you, best ask a doctor of chinese medicine, they might be able to explain it properly.
Here's the rub: to a certain degree the Soviets encouraged athletes to train outside in the cold and wet as they strongly beleived there were positive health benefits. Who should I beleive? (That's a retorical quesiton)

Hope it doesn't seem like I'm busting your chops. There's so much myth and nonsense when it comes to fitness, despite a good body of scientific evidence. Not to mention that some folks are more interested in pushing "their program" (and making $$$$$) than really improving their client's health, well-being, and physical performance.