View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 07:22 AM   #38
Kevin Wilbanks
Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote:
And as I tell beginning kendo students, "If the right way always felt comfortable and natural, everyone would be master swordsmen. Now, we know not everyone is a master swordsman." Sure it was awkward at first, but so is chudan. Now I find wakigamae comfortable and secure. Like everything, it just takes practice.

Wakigamae is on the defensive side of the spectrum anyway. If you want "most ready-to-move," you want jodan, but that's certainly not a "relaxed/neutral feeling stance." (There's a reason it's sometimes referred to as hi no kamae.)
I'm not buying either of these arguments. My point was about movement economy, not the learning curve. If I argued the superiority of a boxer's stance with fists raised over a horse stance with fists cocked near the waist because the fists are more ready for action, would you say that chambering them at the waist was just as good if only one practiced enough?

Likewise, just because another position is more 'ready-to-move' does this imply one doesn't need to be ready to move in this one?

Incidentally, jodan and chudan feel plenty comfortable and mechanically sound to me. No funny wrist cocking or ulterior stealth motives seem to be involved either.

As far as the relation to hakama length, I already stated that I think concealing the sword in this position is another instance of a bogus legend/myth.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 03-31-2003 at 07:25 AM.