View Single Post
Old 11-30-2000, 11:43 AM   #56
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
Talking

Quote:
joeysola wrote:
I have been watching all of the replys to this thread and it seems as if most of the replys dance around my question. How does aikido prepare you for an unavoidable fight? I understand Aikido has good defenses against weapons and I respect that, however so do many other martial arts, it is not unique to Aikido. I want to know how Aikido works in a specific senario, one on one, no weapons. If you just ignore the UFC's and look at them to see how Aikido is very limited then you are dilusional and have a suffer from a false sense of security. I will be more specific, What do you do if some one is itting on top of you and is punching at your face? Or what if you have to deal with someone who actual knows how to use combinations in their strikes. Some of you have said that Aikido works very well against multiple attackers, how is that if aikido cannot match up one on one? I am hoping someone can give me a straight answer. And please don't say that these situations would never happen, they do.
JoeySola-
Wow, this was a long thread. You've obviously touched a nerve somewhere. You've asked a genuine and relevent question, but you have also insulted the integrity and legitimacy of Aikido at the same time. I am not an instructor of Aikido, nor am I even "intermediately" ranked, but it doesn't take a genius to know that Aikido IS EXTREMELY effective in defending your life. It is also a martial art of LIFE AND PEACE, in that your goal is to AVOID opposition by stepping out of the line of attack and redirecting it, instead of "opposing" with more force and strength, since that ultimately just leads to hurting yourself. More so, it is about blending with your attacker in order to avoid harm to EITHER person.
I decided to train in Aikido because of those reasons. I read and learned as much about it as I could, and chose to train in Aikido because it simply makes more sense to "avoid the fight" and neutralize it rather than "engage in fighting" in the first place. It has been a life changing experience for me to say the least.

When people ask me what Aikido is, I have to point them to this website. The only thing this site is missing is a dojo in which to experience training. You say that Aikido is impractical, I say it's the only one that IS practical. Many people in this thread have explained a lot to you about the practicalities of Aikido and I cannot possibly say it better myself. If you want to join a MA where trophies are your goal and competing in tournaments is your passion, Aikido is not for you, but if you want to better yourself and follow a path that leads to life, then Aikido is for you. Grappling and submission fighting is great one on one, and Karate, Tang Su Do, Tae Kwon Do, are all practical self defense, and yes, other martial arts have defense techniques against weapons, but they are self defense through opposition, and thus there will always be a "winner" and a "loser". Not true in Aikido. You can have two really high ranked opponents, and let's just say they are both ranked the same, but the biggest, tallest and/or strongest of two opponents ALWAYS has the advantage and someone is going to win or lose. Again, not true in Aikido.

How does Aikido prepare you for an unavoidable fight?? That's the whole purpose of Aikido. Aikido cannot be performed without first being attacked. The stronger the attack, the easier it is for the Aikidoist to neutralize the attack.

This is all basic and general, and if you wish to learn more, I suggest you visit your local dojo and participate in a class.