View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #16
Vic Robinson
Dojo: Aikido of Morgantown, AWA
United_States
Joseph, I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. I'm a regular reader in this forum, but not a responder. However, your statement is so off base that I must respond.

While it is true that the formality and etiquette of traditional Aikido feels very strange to those of us in Western culture, it also carries with it an inherent discipline. It is this discipline and dedication to art which becomes infectious to people.

No one who practices Aikido and maintains humility is foolish enough to feel that their Aikido is invincible. No art is invinsible. For every good martial artist, there is always someone better, no matter what the art, and the same goes for the endless comparison between arts.

Nor is Aikido artificial. You must be sincere in everything concerning Aikido, whether it is a sincere attack when you are uke, or a sincere caring that you do not hurt your uke or a sincere desire to teach others who are willing to learn.

And finally, my answer a to what would make me quit is the same as James Ashby...death. Or unless I get too damn old to walk out on the mat by myself. And now, I'll go back to being a reader.....