View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 12:35 AM   #65
Kevin Wilbanks
Paul,

I looked through some of the articles there, written by Davies. Unfortunately, for me, the most salient aspect of these writings is the hype-ridden, melodramatic writing style. The ratio of actual ideas presented to bragging, self-promotion, and poetic flourish is a little low for my tastes. But, hey, it's marketing, and the guy is trying to make money.

The articles I looked through definitely had some good exercises, and the general idea of doing varied power exercises with an eye toward specificity for athletic enhancement is good.

I saw some problematic myths being thrown around in places - for example, the idea that certain exercises are inherently 'functional'. Functionality really has no meaning outside of a specific context, and the judgement should be about the functional carryover from the entire training program to the activity, not just specific exercises. Well-designed training protocols can incorporate exercises such as bodybuilding moves, machines, or other activities seemingly unrelated to the movements of the activity - often they are part of a hypertrophy phase, for stages of injury rehab, used during a recuperative phase, or used to address a specific weaknesses.

Another example of a problem I have with this kind of information source: in one article he touts the virtues of 'towel chin ups' as being an essential exercise and decries those who don't know about them. He cites the fact that your forearms and biceps will get extremely pumped and sore when you try them as proof of their superiority in eliminating grip weakness. Since it is an unusual grip angle and object, such a reaction to trying the exercise is exactly what one would expect, and actually proves nothing about the effectiveness or usefulness of the exercise for any particular purpose. I would be willing to put regular bar chins plus work on spring-loaded grippers up against the towel chin. I see no reason why it couldn't achieve equal or superior results - however, both of these exercises are standard and confer no mystique to me or foster the impression that I am letting you in on a little-known secret.

In general, I spend little time getting information from these kind of sources, because there is so much extraneous junk in the way of the actual information. Try Supertraining. Dr. Siff also holds inexpensive weekend camps in Denver which you might want to look into. I think you have enough training background, experience, and knowledge of your needs to move beyond any of these prepackaged products or systems, and develop your own custom periodized programs. I consider myself still in the 'building up the raw materials' stage.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 03-05-2003 at 12:40 AM.