View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 09:53 AM   #62
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Jane,

No question that secondary activites can be used to improve performance in primary activities. Be that as it may, to improve preformance for an activity, the majority of training time should be spent on the specific activity. <snip> But the majority of a successful football player's time is spent in football specific drills and secondary activities are geared to improved football performance. Which, as I understand it, is what you're asserting. (Please correct me if I've misinterpreted your position).

Regards,

Paul
Oh yes I agree, I didn't mean to impart that one could train for an activity by mostly training in another activity. My (general) suggestions were meant as a supplement rather than a metaphoric meal. I guess I was addressing the possibility of an aspect of a person's activity being a rate-limiter, and addressing the limiter in order to enhance the training.

Yes, football drills are a significant part of a player's training, but they do also weight train, which isn't exactly a football drill, but helps on a secondary or even tertiary level.

The assistant swim coach here was very resistant to using weight training as a suppliment, and believed that it would not help his performance. Now that he was no longer competing, he had decided to try weight training simply as an activity. After several months he decided to get into the pool with the team and swim. His time was better than it ever had been.

Now, it might be possible that there was another factor in his improvement, and I asked him if there was anything else that he had done different; was he eating different, did he over train before, anything? Nope.

Yes, training in aikido is good for improving skill, but other activities can help in that improvement.

(Kevin, Please note that the above anecdotal account is not meant to be sweeping empirical fact, but as example.)