View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 09:44 AM   #60
Kevin Wilbanks
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
No question that secondary activites can be used to improve performance in primary activities. Be that as it may, to improve preformance for an activity, the majority of training time should be spent on the specific activity. Football players are best served by playing football, by engaging in running drills that improve football performance, by using strength training protocals that mimic and benefit football performance, by choosing a nutritional program that supports football, etc....

So, yes, a football player will run, will strength train, etc. to improve their performance. But the majority of a successful football player's time is spent in football specific drills and secondary activities are geared to improved football performance. Which, as I understand it, is what you're asserting. (Please correct me if I've misinterpreted your position).

Regards,

Paul
I think you may be overemphasizing the specificity aspect of some elements of football training. Most weight protocols aren't that specific to football movements, and the purpose of them is often to develop general attributes. Olympic lifts, for instance, are incorporated to develop general motor qualities such as explosiveness. Squats and many other weight exercises are often used just to develop general muscle size and strength. Often whole cycles of off-season training are dedicated to hypertrophy.

I also wonder about your correlation between the relative amount of time spent on an activity and its importance. It is true that a football player spends a relatively small fraction of their training time lifting weights, and the majority of their time doing more football-specific activities. However, a lot of this seems to be about physiology.

One can only productively train a specific weight movement for a few sets one to three times per week, whereas there is less physiological limit on how much skill practice one can do. For instance, let's say a lineman can squat 600 pounds and bench press 350 as they train now. If his body were different and he could receive unlimited returns on putting more time in, don't you think he would? What if he could devote 10x as much of his training time to weights and get proportionally stronger - say strong enough to squat 6,000 pounds and bench 3,500?