View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 07:32 PM   #55
ikkainogakusei
Smile aikido and specificity of training

Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
A very good point.

I don't think anybody said only Aikido will help Aikido but more along the lines of the best thing for Aikido is Aikido.
Hi Peter
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
The best way to get better at aikido is to train aikido. Period.
I guess this is where I assumed that the '..only aikido will help aikido..'assertion was made. I can't quote chapter and verse for studies that have shown improvement of performance but I can leave references.

McArdle, Katch, and Katch (Energy, nutrition and human performance, 1996)address Specificity of training as well as Brooks, and Fahey (Exercise Physiology: Human Bioenergetics and its Applications 1996), and Powers & Howley (Exercise Physiology: Theory and Application of fittness and Performance 1998). There may be more updated versions of these books but these are the ones I have access to. They all discuss the benefits of training in areas that may have similarity of application to movement or strength. Certainly, a movement that is thoroughly dissimilar to aikido would do no good for application of skill, but some things may actually improve the application of a particular technique.

If for example, you understand a movement in theory, but have a noodle for an arm, and just need a little more grip strength to get a better 'grasp' of the technique (that is; grip strength is your rate limiter), then working on that grip strength might help, be that through simple grip exercises, or by doing tanren uchi (sp?).

Maybe one might find it challenging to turn on center, and the twisting motion of the crawl stroke (swimming) might reveal conceptual poor form by doing a lateral bend rather than a transverse twist. Again, somatic awareness is your rate limiter.

Anecdotaly, I have known others who have benefitted from 'cross-training' and aikido, and sometimes that breakthrough has come from an indirect source of training.

Food for thought.