View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
Carl Simard
Re: Assistance with research please?

Quote:
Josephine Lewis (Jo Lewis) wrote:
Am I right in understanding that the proficient Aikido practitioner can render a person unconscious *without* resorting to violence (e.g. throwing, punching etc)?
Unconscious sounds a bit extreme. Unable to move or attack or disabling the attacker is more realistic. The talk about non violence in aikido is in perspective to other martial arts. Compared to kenpo karate, for example, aikido will looks smoother. But there is nonetheless physical contact, punchs and throw. This "non violent" perception is also probably due for a large part in the goal of aikido. In many martial arts, the goal is to pratically destroy your opponent by kicking/punching him the harder you can, trying to make as much damage as possible in the shortest time. In aikido, the goal is to take (or keep) control of your opponent by doing him the less physical damage possible. So, the goal is somewhat non violent in the sense that you don't physically hurt your opponent if you don't need to... But, if need be, you can quite easily severely wound the opponent.
Quote:
I have a vague recollection about acupressure points, for example (I once met an Aikido practitioner who did an amazing thing with the inside of my wrist which caused me to collapse like a house of cards).

If I am correct in my assumption, would you be so kind as to give me the name of the movement and an indication of where the hand should be to affect the movement (obviously, if it is forward-facing, my protagonist can hardly approach from behind).
Well, there's many technique that can cause pain as hell in your wrist... However, in the way you describe it, "kote gaeshi" may be the technique you think about.

Your hands, and the hand of the opponent, are in front of you, about the height of your belly.

The attack can come from anywhere. The art in itself is to bring these hands in front of you... Other may agree with me or not on that, as it's more a personnal evaluation, but I found that this technique is easier to do on a punch type attack (bare hand or armed) coming from the front, ideally a punch in the belly for example. The harder will be a grappling attack from behind (but it's possible to do it, just not the easiest thing to do).

For a look at this technique, give a look at the multimedia section of aikiweb, at the clip named "Chida99-2". It's a nice kote gaeshi...
Quote:
Many thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer me.
You're welcome and hope that this may help you.

Last edited by Carl Simard : 02-21-2003 at 02:29 PM.