Thread: One True Thing
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 06:45 AM   #21
one4k4
I felt this way when I took my second AFF skydive jump.

It was my second jump, period.

(coincidentally, it was my last, as cash flow pretty much halted my progress there..)

But after the 8 hours of training, the hundreds of questions I asked, and finally climbing into the King-Air, I knew I was in heaven..

Jumping out at 13000 feet wasn't bad, it was more procedural than anything else, I wanted to make sure I didn't slip and fall.. but do it right.

But after I did what I was supposed to do (turning, tracking, etc.) while falling for the rough minute or so, I pulled the ripcord.

Looking up, to make sure things came out right, I noticed that the chute was only open about 60%/70%. The left side was flapping away.. The cord was still twisted, maybe the elastics hadn't popped off in the proper order.. who knew. I flapped the risers a bit, and the slider finished coming down.. then the chute was open and normal..

All was ok.

I looked around, looked at my altitude, and just enjoyed the view. It was me and nobody else, in this entire world. I was the only person controlling me at the time. I loved that feeling, so quiet.

When I landed, my instructor said he saw what happened while he was watching my chute open, and the guys on the ground had radioed, but I didn't hear a bit of it. I got a "good job", a pat on the back, and I knew I was happy. Wanted to go back up again right away.

Oh, and I landed about as good as I could have for my second jump. Unlike my first, which was on the other side of the runway. (Didn't cross the runway under 1,000 feet. )