Thread: Seiza
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #9
mattholmes
Quote:
Bryan Siekierko (aikido_fudoshin) wrote:
One thing that you should keep in mind when doing it is that you are not suppose to sit on your feet, but you should keep some tension in your quads and try to maintain a thin gap between your upper and lower leg. The reason for this is so you get up or respond quicker to an attack. I think its a bit more comfortable like this once you get used to it. Ive been told that you should be able to sit in seiza for 30 minutes before it getting too unbarable.
I don't know that this is accurate. I've always been under the impression that one is "supposed" to sit on one's toes, in the manner Thomas Froman described to help flat feet. I don't personally sit this way, however, my karate Sensei used to sit like this, and he could sit in seiza for hours...

I understand (and I don't know how true this is) that at one time in Japanese history, some people sat in seiza for hours and hours. Although I believe that we like to romanticize the concept of the ever-ready Samuarai constantly guarded against attack, I have a hard time swallowing that you are supposed to keep you legs tensed like that for a half hour. And then what happens? You don't get attacked anymore?

Hmmm...

Have a nice day,

Matt