View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 07:24 PM   #9
Kent Enfield

United_States
Re: Help!! Grading Question

Happoken no kata

This could be eight-direction fist(s) or eight direction sword(s) among other things, though "happoken" when refering to swords sounds weird to me. My guess would be that it's what I would call happo giri undo.

Sambo geri no kata

If it's actually supposed to be "sampo" then it would be the form of kicking in three directions. If it's also supposed to be "giri," then it would be the form of cutting in three directions. Various sampo giri are found in iaido/battojutsu schools.

Nagashi

"Drain/shed/wash away." I can't guess what this would be, as I've only ever encountered the term in sword work, in the compound uke nagashi.

Okuri

"Sending." I'm guessing this is footwork (okuri ashi) in which the leading foot moves first.

WANRYOKU YOSEI

Probably "arm-power somthing." Without kanji, there are way to many compounds read yosei or yousei.

Nigiri-gaeshi

"Grip reversal." Either a counter or a movement with a grip.

Morote-kote-dori suihei

"Double handed wrist grab something." The only suihei I know are horizon and naval tactics.

What the heck does "mukae" mean? (eg: Ushiro kaiten mukae ukemi)

"Going out to meet." It can be when one thing intercepts another. The notion of "mukae ukemi" doesn't make any sense to me.

I've just double check and yep, that's the right spelling according to the requirements for "6th Kyu" at my (Yoseikan) club.

Just because it's on a sheet somewhere doesn't mean it's spelled correctly. Some mispellings get institutionalized. In judo stuff, one sees "kyo tsuke" for "ki o tsuke" all the time. And I count the number of times I've seen "Shotokan" translated as "small pines school" when "kan" means building or hall, not school.

Failing that, can you give me a "word for word translation"? For example something like Zenpo kaiten migi ukemi translates to front right forward roll. (praise be to the aikido faq)

That'd actually be forward rolling right fall. There's only one front/forward in it.

Kentokuseisei