View Single Post
Old 11-12-2000, 09:57 PM   #33
Richard Harnack
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Mid-America
Talking REAL FIGHTING?!!!?

Since this thread started with comments from a person who thinks UFC represents real fighting, I can see where it all will ultimately lead.

Real fighting, in my childhood at least, involved knees to the groin, kicks to the shins, bloody noses, black eyes, rocks, dirt clods and occasionally a piece of bicycle chain. Presently, real fighting involves automatic pistols, acid in the face and a few other not-so-nice elements. And don't get me started on lawyers and lawsuits.

So let us put to rest that the UFC, WCW, etc. represent anything resmebling real fighting. These have rules and restrictions. All of the posturing before and after a match in my old neighborhood would be met with a cold eye and a "So what".

One, as I often tell my students, Aikido has principles, but no rules.

Two, if you think the goal of a battle is to fully engage and "win", then I refer you to Sun Tzu's "Art of War" on the highest attainment in combat. No, I am not going to give it to you, you'll have to actually read it for yourself. Trust me, it is worth it.

Three, sparring competitions, no matter how much blood may actually be shed, are still controlled environments. Talk to soldiers who have actually been in a "real" fight to find out why competition sport martial arts are not necessarily applicable.

Four, mixing styles sometimes leads to confusion. Remember, there was only one Morihei Ueshiba, Gichin Funakoshi, Jigoro Kano, Mas Oyama, etc. Everyone who followed represents a student, mimic or someone who derived their understanding from one or several of these men. While each of these men was aware of other styles, and while each may have trained briefly in those, they found their own path and followed it til their death.

Five, my mother and father both taught me that those who talk loudly about something, often know the least. While those who really know, don't talk. (Or was it Lao Tzu?)

Yours In Aiki,
Richard Harnack