View Single Post
Old 11-12-2000, 06:06 AM   #9
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
"In aikido we do not train muscle you know..
The "machines" to train ourselves with are "me" and "uke""

Agreed- in case my post didn't express it clearly, I was referring to energy of the mind. As for not using muscle... what do you think you use when you move? To say you sohuld not use any muscle in Aikido is a paradox.

Then; what is the use of having a very heavy duty stick (or bokken) if you are studying movements?

Might I ask if you've ever studied kenjutsu? The main objective is to make the weapon an extension of your arm... the arm makes the bokken hit, but the hips make it cut. Also, remember that the strikes we use in aikido (shomenuchi, yokomenuchi, etc) were derived from sword cuts. In fact, if my research is at all correct, O'sensei based Aikido on sword arts as well as daito-ryu jujitsu.

Then; what is the use of having a very heavy duty stick (or bokken) if you are studying movements?

what's the use of arm movement at all if you are studying movement? not much at all. But if you're studying Aikido, arm movement is critical. Sure, it'd be nice to throw someone with ki alone, but I've got probably 40 years before I can begin to try to learn how to do that...

Isn't it better to use "brittle" instruments?
So we do not learn to gain too much "power" from our trainig weapons?

In a fight, you want advantages. In a sword fight, you want a good sword. For your sword to shatter and break in a sword duel would mean your death. If a person can block and a disarm a sword from a trained exponent of any sword art, than they didn't need the sword in the first place.

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."