View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #10
Kevin Wilbanks
Quote:
ahmad abas (Abasan) wrote:
Besides, getting the nerve is not through pressing it with force, but more to do with extension of the arms outwards. This I presume happens naturally when you go for the leverage.
This presumption seems to have no correlation with my experience. The variations of grip with which one can effect the technique by leverage without coming anywhere near pressing on the nerve point are nearly infinite. This is part of my point, and why most nerve-oriented practice sessions seem to consist of everyone standing around puzzling over the proper grip instead of actually practicing the technique.

One can quickly grab the forearm pretty much any old way, with either hand over the other, and grind someone's shoulder into the ground mercilessly by means of sound movement mechanics and some strength. On the other hand, finding the nerve point requires a very narrow range of quite particular grips, and it seems extremely tricky to land such a grip in one swoop, on the fly. I don't think I've ever met anyone who could effect the nerve grip as quickly and reliably as I, a relative neophyte, can simply grab a forearm with both hands.

In general, this serves as a good illustration of why I have little interest in practicing with pressure points. By the time one becomes even close to proficient at making such a tenuous connection on the fly, one could have spent countless hours honing a much more reliable skill.