Thread: appearances
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2003, 04:19 PM   #15
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Hey Sean,

You the same guy on alt.martial-arts.aikido? If so, good to read ya!

As far as I'm concerned, Shodokan needs to toot its horn more often! From what I hear, they are one of the few styles of aikido with a "true" randori, if you know what I mean.

RT
Hi Ron,

Yes, thats me, and thankyou kind sir.

Nice to read you too.
Quote:
Tom Engelen wrote:
Whether you do an exercise slowly and carefully, or quickly and vigorously, you can't do it right unless you learn to "tune in" to your partner and move *together*, instead of just reacting to the other, or trying to act preemptively. Even during an exercise where you know exactly what your partner is going to do and how you should react, what really decides the result (and in a real conflict, possibly life or death) is whether you can grasp that exact moment when the attack starts and harmonize with it - it's the difference between blending with uke or blocking/trying to catch up with him. Even when you know something *will* be coming, and *how* it will be coming, you can't say exactly *when* it'll come, after all. Whether it's just practice or "for real" is irrelevant.
Hi Tom,

Re-reading your post, actually 'good point' is almost all I have to say.

Except I would like to go off at a slight tangent, and add that there are other opportunities to harmonize with an attack besides that first one. (Like I was explaining before, I train in a dojo where we like to give those opportunities names.)

So if you can't grasp that moment when the attack starts - actually pretty likely for most of us - all is not lost. As long as you can avoid the attack and maintain a reasonable posture, there'll be another chance to harmonize along shortly afterwards.

Sean

x