Thread: appearances
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2003, 07:56 AM   #12
REK
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
Tom,

So they why worry about timing in anything other than freestyle practice?

I'm wondering that if it's kata, even though I don't know the exact instant my partner will attack, I know enough to skew the situation so as to make timing considerations of very little consequence.
This is a good point, but maybe too narrowly applied. By that I mean that my understanding of the ultimate goal of aikido training is to help relax the perception such that no matter the environment you "know enough to skew the situation so as to make timing considerations of very little consequence".
Quote:
I don't mean to suggest that kata training doesn't have value. I think it does. But I find myself wondering if timing issues are better addressed in freestyle practice.
Another good point. I imagine you will get a diverse set of answers to that question. I think that it probably is better addressed in freestyle practice. But I agree (if I am inferring from your post correctly) that some formalized initial training is necessary for freestyle to be of any use. I am not aware of any fighting style that does not have some

"basic techniques".

Rob