View Single Post
Old 11-09-2000, 07:16 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi James,
It is spelt aikido (ai means harmony/blending). Also phycology is the study of fungi, at rarely has anything to do with aikido. Apologies for my flipancy, I've been reading too much Haiku recently!

I always feel aikido is for everyone (which is probably why everyone argues over styles all the time). I suggest you give it a go and find out, however your experience will very much depend on the club you go to so if there are 2 local clubs try them both out.

The range of people I have trained with goes from the bully, who wants to beat people up (and usually ends up developing a very spiritual aspect, and changing their whole approach to combat), to the person who does weaving and is trying to get in tune with his chakras (and goes to wine parties). Aikido is great 'cos people can get out entirely different things, and it often changes you personally.

Aikido crowds are usually very friendly and enjoy the input of beginners.

BJJ is Brazilian jujutsu (tends to be a lot of floor work and grappling).

If you are interested in pressure points chinese boxing (wing chun, kung fu) might interest you, although they can seem overtly aggresive. Tai-chi may interest you, though it often takes a long time before you get into fighting styles and pressure points. Chi-Kung involves ki building and (later) fighting and pressure points.

Alot of it depends what is available. There are several Tai-chi practioners in my Aikido class at the moment because there are no local Tai-chi instructors. There are common threads running through most martial arts, but emphasised to different degrees.

Most people tend to like Aikido - the ones who are put off tend to be put off because it takes longer than most martial arts to get your body to move in such a way that the techniques become practical/instinctive. However this also makes it more interesting and means that you can develop your aikido over your lifetime, rather than getting bored after 2 years.

Don't worry about dipping in to everything and having a go.

E