View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002, 03:29 AM   #45
mike lee
heros are everywhere

Quote:
The central problem with hero worship (and this thread is a great sort of case in point) is the possibility that the hero will let you down by turning out to be merely human.
It's the simple fact that they are "merely human" that allows them to rise to hero status in the first place if and when they actually do something heroic.

When a man, for example, such as Chicago Bears great Walter Payton, who despite needing an urgent liver transplant, refused to use his money or his prestige to have himself moved up a list of others who also needed a liver transplant, he showed everyone what he was really made of.

The man never let his pride or his fame get in the way of his beliefs. He looked death square in the eye and didn't blink. At that point he truly became a hero.

Quote:
For Walter Payton, 16,726 yards not only signify the 9 1/2 miles he ran for in 13 seasons, they also represent durability from a running back who was not afraid to take a hit, to duck his head and plow into a defender just to get that extra yard.

"If I'm going to get hit," Payton said, "why let the guy who's going to hit me get the easiest and best shot? I explode into the guy who's trying to tackle me."

Despite all this punishment, he missed only one game in his Hall of Fame career with the Chicago Bears.

Last edited by mike lee : 12-31-2002 at 03:34 AM.