View Single Post
Old 12-17-2002, 01:30 AM   #23
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
I thought you would agree that aikido encourages and teaches how to choose non-violence.
I do. I also like how it offers me the ability to be decidely violent...IF I SO CHOOSE.
Quote:
Aikido is not a tool, it's a philosophy, a way of human interaction, and an artistic system of expression. It's not something you use--it's a way to follow.
To be quite honest I don't see the difference. A philosophy is a tool to help you live your life the way you choose. Dance is a system of artistic expression and I would say that dancing is a dancer's tool for expressing themselves...same with aikido. As for the way, I feel that what I study isn't nearly as important as how I study it. I feel that the benefits of deep, intense study can be had by studying just about anything...deeply and intently. I choose aikido, other choose tai chi, or calligraphy, or dance, or karate....these are then the tools that are used to follow the way.

I really think we agree on this we just choose to use different words (tools) to express it. I still stand by my hammer analogy though. A hammer can be used to build low cost housing or a baby's crib. It can also be used to smash someone's head in. In the end it's the intent of the person wielding the hammer that's important.

Oh well, it's late and I'm rambling

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."