Old 12-17-2002, 01:17 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Inexperienced dueling with a kicker

Quote:
Wynand van Dyk (drDalek) wrote:
Why he beat me:

2) Maintaining Ma-ai: He kept his distance (about the reach of his side-kick) so that any Irimi that I might try would be easily intercepted by him, I also could not manage to make him "chase" me, as soon as I did this, he would shrug his shoulders and walk away which is not conductive to learning and experimenting - and also very frustrating.
I would say number 2 is the main reason. Correct ma ai is roughly weapon tip to weapon tip which if you are dealing with a kicker it is different than when dealing with a boxer. He maintained ma ai - you didn't.

Shrugging his shoulders and walking away - there is a whole community out there who believe this was an aiki response. I don't define aiki that way but in a potentially combative situation that is probably the ideal response. Now if you kept your ma ai and forced him to come to you - there might be something to work with. Even seizing the initiative means that there is an opening to exploit. A person who knows how to kick and more importantly knows how to wait - can be very dangerous.

Both in competitive Aikido and Japanese boxing - the best players are the patient ones.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido