View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 03:20 PM   #18
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Merriam Webster:

1 a : exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse (as in effecting illegal entry into a house) b : an instance of violent treatment or procedure

2 : injury by or as if by distortion, infringement, or profanation : OUTRAGE

3 a : intense, turbulent, or furious and often destructive action or force <the violence of the storm> b : vehement feeling or expression : FERVOR; also : an instance of such action or feeling c : a clashing or jarring quality : DISCORDANCE

4 : undue alteration (as of wording or sense in editing a text)

By the merriam webster defination I would probaly say no. We are using force to not injure or abuse our attacker. But.. I'll pose this.. O'Sensei said Aikido is 90% atemi, 10% technique.

Is atemi violent? A punch to the jaw, a strike to the wrist to deflect a punch, a shihonage to redirect a beer bottle from a shomen. Your definition of violence vs my definition of violence. I think we also see this between different styles of aikido.

Here is the way I interpret aikido. Aikido is the art of peace. You cannot have peace without violence. Yin and yang.

By redirecting aiki in attacks, we are being violent. But we are hopefully taking out opponent to a point where he is subdued without us having to break him. Leading to a not as violent end to the situation.

My .02.

Cheers,

Eric