View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 01:35 AM   #9
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Aikidojo Leiderdorp
Netherlands
Quote:
Bruce Baker wrote:
Yeah, but it would take about half an hour to properly explain it.
Hmm, that never stopped you from posting in other threads, did it? Or are you just saying you dont wanty to spent half an hour on this subject?
Quote:
bob-stra wrote:
Can someone explain these aikido metaphors?
I will try but it will only reflect my meager non-japanese and non-shinto understanding of them. Please forgive me if they are worded a bit strange but especialy when trying to phrase something precisely my english might start to look like my dutch (native tongue)

All three symbols originate within shinto.

The triangle (sankaku) represents the dimension of Ki-flow (iku mususbi/tama). In aikido it represents entering (irimi). It reflects the initiative.

The circle (maru) represents the dimension that is liquid (taru musubi/tama). In aikido it represents blending (tenkan). It reflects unifiquation.

The square (shikaku) represents the dimension that is solid (tamatsume musubi/tama). In aikido it represents control (kokyu). It reflects form.

As these are symbols that are not reserved to Aikido it can be nice to see them in another context as well.The circle is often easy to find in actions of unification, In the Kojiki (Record of Ancient Matters) Izanami no mikoto (Izanami no kami) and Izanagi no mikoto (Izanagi no kami) discover that her body is built with one place formed insufficiently, as where his body is built with one place formed in excess. They decide that the will walk in a circle around the heavenly pilar and insert his "what was formed in excess" into her "what was formed insufficiently" and thus give birth to the land.

Well, how is that for unification?

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com