View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 06:35 PM   #21
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
For those of you who don't completely read posts...

Don't give up the japanese terms...

... but add descriptive wording in your own native tongue that you might more readily pick up the Japanese words.

The whole point of bringing this up, is that sometimes I bring up other descriptions for a technigue, either chinese martial arts or other MA descriptions of Aikido variations upon techniques, and most of the time the teachers, or teacher have no idea what I am talking about.

I don't claim to know more than the teacher, but the school hard knocks is a stern teacher and you don't forget your schooling.

Is it in turn fair play to turn about the descriptions of aikido's japanese terminolgy with root terms from other schools of martial arts, or is it merely more misinterpretation, as students of O'Sensei were given tecniques, half watching the top of O'Sensei and half watching the bottom of O'Sensei, whereupon they gave techniques numbers if they couldn't describe them?

Maybe they were not supposed to number the techniques as one, two, three, four, five ... which came out as ikkyo, nikkyo, sankkyo etc, etc. Maybe O'Sensei thought they were too stupid to remember the entire description of the technique and the history of where it came from or how it evolved?

"Stop thinking grasshopper. Do technique number one."

Let me get this last thing off my chest then you can go on to other posts that are more interesting.

How about getting a striking chart from one of the martial arts suppliers. I know Asian World in Philadelphia, PA has them. They are pretty common in most karate schools.

Then look at the chart and find out the proper way to strike, rub, or push that point in order to make it work. I think once you have done that, you won't be as in the dark about what we are doing with the many movements of Aikido, and the openings many of you miss as you have your everyday practice.

Let alone the two way motion it takes to properly practice with your bokken ... more like casting a fishin' rod than chopping wood like the rusty Tin Man.

That felt better ... thanks for reading this.

Enuf said ... for now.