View Single Post
Old 12-10-2002, 10:20 AM   #3
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Re: It's bugging me

Quote:
Ian Hurst (happysod) wrote:
I was recently asked by a beginner to aikido (in the pub natch) what was the difference between a martial art and a self defence. Now I knew to the depths of my mat-broken little toe that there was a difference. But after a few beers and the inclusion of some modern codified schools of self defence in the argument, my certainty's wavering.
I might be misreading this, but are you asking what we think the difference between a martial art and a self defense art is? Or the difference between a martial art and self defense..

I'll answer with my guessing of the question being the later.

A person punching someone that is attacking them is a form of self defense. A person shooting an attacker with a gun is a form of self defense. A person applying shihonage to a person attacking them is a form of self defense.

All of the above are forms of self-defense. However, I have listed these in an order I feel requires least training to more training. I beleive a martial art is just that. It is a trained way of defense and offense. Now there are martial arts that can be used to attack as we all know, that is also a form of self defense (depending upon the context). That would cover physical training, a few martial arts also cover a variety of mental training excercises as well.

So physical and mental training that enables me to defend myself or those close to me if it comes down to it. That's what I consider a martial art.

That may or may not be what your looking for!

Eric