View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 06:00 PM   #7
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Quote:
That is, instead of a mind on the other end of the flow, there is a sort of mindless physical entity having momentum and mass and some attached lever assemblies. That's a bit too strong; I know people do counter. But I have this nagging feeling that too much time is spent working with an implicit assumption that nage is (ought to be) better than uke.

I wonder, does anyone ever spend time just going through all the ways that a technique can be countered, and the counter-counters, etc.? I start to get a little tired of _only_ training in technique and flow.
I, for one, believe that knowing how to give good uke is as important (or more important) for aikido than knowing how to give good nage. There is a subtle and wonderful communication that goes on between uke and nage that, at it's best, is playful, challenging, constructive, and cooperative. The only thing it isn't is competitive.

Kaishi-waza (reversal of technique, I hope) is a standard part of training in many dojos. If you don't get enough of it in your regular classses, trying playing with it after class with a more senior student. When I first encountered it, I found it mind-blowing. Now I just think of it as a standard part of AiKiDo.

Yours in Aiki
Opher