View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
Brian Crowley
Well, since you said any thoughts welcome, I'll add my 2 cents -

No MA can be all things to all people. Are there things in Aikido that you don't get from the other activities you mentioned ? If not, then why not just focus on the arts that provide the aspects that you enjoy ? If so, is it enough to warrant doing all of them ?

To keep with the Chess comparisons, I think that Aikido is a bit like learning a lot of Chess openings, endings & other brilliant concepts, but I think it lacks in certain other areas - perhaps the middle game & opportunities to really "play". I'm sure this is less (or not) true for some styles/schools; this is a generalizaton that I like, that many will certainly disagree with.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your question, but I'll throw it out:

A couple years ago, I read an old chess book that was geared toward helping the "average" player improve his game. The book opens by saying, "The number of capturing opportunities overlooked by the average player is really staggering." The author indicated that the only way to really get rid of this problem is through intensive practice and study (which most people don't have time for); however he also indicates that it is helpful to be aware of the problem and be determined to root out that flaw to the best of your abilities.

The more years I study, the more I think that this is a key element to learning MAs. There may be tons of opportunities in a particular situation, but most of us can't see more than a couple - and frequently not even the best ones. As with Chess, the only way to become fully aware of the maximum number of opportunities is to train & study; however I really believe that just being aware of the problem, and trying to eliminate it, is helpful.

Good luck with your chess & MAs.

Brian