PuppyDoggie
Canada
Re: Unusual feet movement in morotedori

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
assuming uke didn't grab and pull
Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
She gets away with that in the example because her partners are not asked to try and stop her during this movement.
Yes, this was assumed, otherwise there'd be a tug of war.

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
The footwork creates a large weakness in her structure
Quote:
Jaemin Yu wrote: View Post
Btw, she makes herself unbalanced and use the power that her body moves to regain the balance. It's effective but can be exploited since she makes herself unbalanced.
Never noticed the unbalanced part until you pointed that out. Tried it out again this week with our group and there is indeed a small but very significant moment of being unbalanced in the initial movement, especially if the back heel does not touch the ground.

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
Main point must be to maintain the front towards uke and make sure kusushi happens from body movement and not from strength.
Yes, I believe this was the purpose as well; it's just strange to me that the movement was so direct in this particular example.

Quote:
Ziv Klausner wrote: View Post
I'm familiar with this specific foot movement from a Jo kata taught by Hiroshi Tada sensei. It is called Wakayama 1952, because, as far as I know, Tada sensei has seen O-sensei perform this sequence of movements in this place and time. Check out the part that begins in 1:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDNZag5aHQ
Cool! I never knew it'd show up in Jo work.

Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis wrote: View Post
Here is an example of an omote version: https://youtu.be/XfheWg0WdVE
Slightly off-topic but I really really like that kokyunage! I'm going to try and learn to feel for that movement next.

Thanks for sharing your observations and insight everyone!