View Single Post
Old 12-07-2002, 10:49 AM   #29
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
In my dojo, we have the rather usual practice of advancing in rank after having trained a pre-determined minimum of hours/days and being considered ready by the sensei. Often having the minimum number of days won't be enough if they are spread out over two long a period. The number of hours per month is considered so that someone who trains less often will take even longer to be allowed to pass his exam. In practice I have found this makes sense as it takes a certain amount of time to get back into training if you have left for a while and that those who don't show up regularly tend to advance more slowly. The basic premise the system works on is that, overall, you get what you put in. In our system it is clear that someone who shows up more will advance more rapidly, independent of the date he signed up.

Interestingly though, just yesterday I was talking with one of our dojo's yudansha and he told me he knew someone at an other dojo that was being held back, despite his skill and the fact that he is very active (ie we see him at many seminars), because a his sensei is less active and does not get promoted and a promotion would bring him to an eqaul rank. In this case the glass ceiling is determined by the rank of the sensei, even though the student is active in going out to train with other instuctors of even higher rank.

This situation seems strange to me as I have never trained in a dojo where any of the students trained harder than the chief instructor and in both cases there was another senior instructor of the same rank as the chief instructor.

These types of questions and situations always make me think of the joys and thrills of human politics. We are a social species, politics is an unavoidable aspect of this.

Last edited by JO : 12-07-2002 at 10:54 AM.

Jonathan Olson